CHILDREN + YOUNG PEOPLE
Recipes for Transition
Primary school group work programme
The transition from Primary school to Secondary school is an exciting and scary prospect for children. It is also the first of many major transitions that children will face as they grow into adulthood. Ensuring children develop the resilience to major change is the driver behind this group work programme.
Created by The Spark, it focuses on building resilience and equipping pupils with coping strategies to handle life transitions. The course firmly positions change as a positive opportunity for personal growth whilst encouraging children to seek support when they need it.
Delivered over a six-week block, the programme is highly interactive and facilitated by members of The Spark’s specialist Children and Young People Team.
Find out more about the Recipes for Transition programme using the links below:
Recipes for Transition – groupwork aims
The Recipes for Transition groupwork aims to help Primary-age children to:
- Build resilience and confidence as they prepare to leave the Primary school environment for Secondary school
- Explore current concerns and identify appropriate coping strategies and support networks
- Recognise similarities/differences in self/others and build empathy.
|Recipes for Transition – groupwork|
|1. Transitions and beliefs||60 minutes||Up to 15|
|2. Emotions and shared experiences||60 minutes||Up to 15|
|3. New perspectives, normalising transition and change||60 minutes||Up to 15|
|4. Exploring strengths, resilience and help-seeking strategies||60 minutes||Up to 15|
|5. Problem solving and solutions||60 minutes||Up to 15|
|6. Endings and looking forward||60 minutes||Up to 15|
Recipes for Transition – outcomes and competencies
By the end of the Recipes for Transition programme, pupils will have:
- Developed an awareness of change and transitions as a process of personal growth
- Awareness of strengths and strategies to build resilience to manage change and transition
- An ability to work inter-relationally within a group
- Awareness of how to obtain further help where required.
This learning programme is delivered by The Spark’s Children and Young People Team in your school or chosen location. Each group is limited to 15 pupils and runs for six weeks, with one session per week.
How to book
If you would like to talk about The Spark deliver Recipes for Transition in your Primary school or providing counselling, please complete the contact form below or telephone 0141 222 2166 during our office opening hours.