Scottish Mental Health First Aid (SMHFA)
CPD: 12 hours
This intensive 2-day training course will provide delegates with a clear understanding and practical application of the Scottish Mental Health First Aid skills, giving participants’ confidence in approaching a person in distress.
Scottish Mental Health First Aid – dates and venues*
Courses are currently suspended as we await guidance from Public Health Scotland regarding courses delivered in person.
*Please note both dates must be attended to complete the programme.
Scottish Mental Health First Aid – booking and prices
Scottish Mental Health First Aid – 2-day programme:
- £95 per person when delivered at one of our locations. Should we deliver training at your own premises, additional charges may be incurred. Course fees are VAT exempt.
To make a booking enquiry complete the enquiry form below or telephone 0141 222 2166
Scottish Mental Health First Aid – course description
Mental Health First Aid is an initial response to distress and all participants on the course understand that this help is to support people in crisis, and when appropriate, signpost them on to other suitable professional help. The course does not train people to be mental health workers. It offers basic general information about mental health problems. The knowledge presented and understanding developed in the course helps to remove stigma and fear and to give confidence in approaching a person in distress.
The course is presented by a qualified SMHFA instructor and quality is continuously monitored by NHS Health Scotland.
The course aims to equip individuals to:
- preserve life
- provide help to prevent the mental health problem or crisis developing into a more serious state
- promote the recovery of good mental health
- provide comfort to a person experiencing distress
- promote understanding of mental health issues.
To enquire about participation on the course, please complete the enquiry form below or telephone 0141 222 2166.
Scottish Mental Health First Aid – enquiry form
The Scottish Mental Health First Aid course framework will cover the following elements during training:
- guidance on being a Mental Health First Aider
- attitudes to mental health issues
- the recovery message
- the impact of alcohol and drugs on mental health
- introduction to suicide intervention
- listening skills
- understanding depression
- how to offer First Aid to someone experiencing depression
- understanding anxiety
- how to offer First Aid to someone experiencing anxiety
- understanding psychosis
- how to offer First Aid to someone experiencing a psychotic episode.
Who is the course aimed at?
The course is open to all and appropriate for all businesses, public sector organisations, charities and community groups. Wherever there is the potential for mental health issues to arise, the key components of the course will equip individuals to deal with issues requiring mental health first aid.
The following organisations have benefitted from Scottish Mental Health First Aid training courses from The Spark.